Supplication of Abraham (Blessing on Him)
Surah ‘Al-Baqarah (The Cow) – Chapter – 2)
Stage – 1, Verses –126 to 128 of 286, Section – 15 of 40 ( Part - 1)
In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful
And when Abraham prayed: My Lord! Make this a region of security and bestow upon its people fruits, such of them as believe in Allah and the Last Day. He answered: And as for him who disbelieveth, I shall leave him in contentment for a while, then I shall compel him to the doom of Fire---a hapless journey’s end!
Wa ‘iz qaala ‘Ibraahiimu Rabbij-‘al haazaa Baladan ‘Aaminanw – warzuq ‘ahlahuu minas-samaraati man ‘aamana minhum, billaahi wal-Yawmil- ‘Aakhir. Qaala wa man-kafara fa-‘umatti-‘uhuu qaliilan- summa ‘aztarruhuuu ‘ilaa ‘azaabin-Naar. Wa bi’-sal-masiir.
Qaliilan – (for a while, a few days), it aims the life of this world. Because comparing to the Day of Resurrection, the life of this world is like ‘for a while’.
Fa-‘umatti-‘uhuu – (I shall leave him in contentment, I shall do well to him also), this word has been derived from Mataa’, which means Goods, valuables.
When Prophet Abraham (peace be upon Him) completed the construction work of the Temple of Makkah, Ka’ba (the Square Building), then He (peace be upon Him) prayed from God Almighty as under:
• Make this (Building, Its City and Its Surroundings) a Region of Security
• Bestow upon its people fruits, such of them as believe in Allah and the Last Day.
His both supplications were approved. So the House of Allah (the Building of Ka’ba) and its all surrounding area, which has been included in Haram, (killing any individual or hunting any living creature is totally prohibited). Although the entire land is stony and sandy but fresh and dry fruit, vegetables and grains are available here every time abundantly.
The Prophet Abraham (peace be upon Him) was told that the cruel and evildoers will be disappointed from the dignity of Leadership. He (peace be upon Him) remembered this order and at the time of supplication for bestowing grains and fruit, prayed only for the Believers. God Almighty commanded, “Religious Leadership is specified only for the Believers and the Obedient. However the disbelievers and Infidels will also be not forfeited from worldly lives. But they will get these things for a short period only during their lifetime. After death, on the Day of Resurrection they will be thrown into the Fire of Hell as punishment of their disobedience, which is very bad abode.
127. And when Abraham and Ishmael were raising the foundations of the House, (Abraham and Ishmael prayed): Our Lord! Accept from us (this duty) Lo! Thou, only Thou, art the Hearer, the Knower.
128. Our Lord! And make us submissive unto Thee and of our seed a nation submissive unto Thee, and show us our ways of worship, and relent toward us. Lo! Thou, only Thou, art the Relenting, the Merciful.
127. Wa ‘iz yarfa-‘u ‘Ibraa-hiimul-qawaa-‘ida minal-Bayti wa ‘Ismaa-‘iil. Rabbanaa ta-qabbal minnaa ‘Innaka ‘An-tas-Samii-‘ul-‘Aliim.
128. Rabbanaa waj-‘alnaa Muslimayni laka wa min-zur-riyyatinaaa ‘Ummatam-Mus-limatal-lak; wa ‘arinaa ma-naasikanaa wa tub ‘alaynaa ‘Innaka ‘Antat-Tawwaabur-Rahiim.
Yarfa-‘u – (were raising), foundation of the Building of Ka’-ba had been laid by the Prophet Adam (peace be upon Him) during His time. This building had been demolished after being infirm. So now it was being raised again from the beginning. The word yarfa-‘u has been derived from the word rafa-’a. It is used in the meanings of to elevate, to raise and lift up etc.
Muslimayni – (the Obedient), it aims towards two meanings.
• The Believers of the Oneness of God Almighty.
• Those people, who remain bound in the common instructions and orders of Islam.
Prophets Abraham and Ishmael (peace be upon Them) were already Muslims at that time. Aim of this prayer was “increase our obedience and keep us steadfast”. Its singular is Muslim. Islam is also from its origin. The literal meanings of Muslim are ‘well wisher, security provider, submissive and obedient.
‘Ummatam-Mus-limatan – (Submissive group/class) ‘Ummah means group and class. Mus-limah means submissive, obedient. It may be applied completely and only on the nation of Last Messenger of God Almighty (glory, grace, blessings and peace be upon Him).
Ma-naasikanaa – (our ways of worship to perform Pilgrimage), it means “the religious methods particularly performing Hajj”. These are also called the customs of Hajj (Pilgrimage).
When Prophets Abraham and Ishmael (peace be upon Them) were raising the foundations of the Ka’-ba, alongside they were praying, “Our Lord! Accept from us (this duty) Lo! Thou, only Thou, art the Hearer, the Knower. Our Lord! And make us submissive unto Thee and of our seed a nation submissive unto Thee, and show us our ways of worship, and relent toward us. Lo! Thou, only Thou, art the Relenting, the Merciful”.