Importance of Fasting and the Month of Ramadhaan
Surah ‘Al-Baqarah (The Cow) – Chapter – 2)
Stage – 1, Verses – 184b & 185a of 286, Section – 23 of 40 (Part - 2)
In the name of God, the Beneficent, the Merciful
And that ye fast is better for you if ye did but know.
Wa ‘an- tasuumuu khayrul-lakum ‘inkuntum ta’-lamuun.
In this part of the verse, importance, goodness and blessings of the Fasting have been described and told that although, any reasonable excuse may compel the human being to either postpone to keep the fasting or pay the ransom, even then, the advantages and blessings for keeping the fast, which may be gained only during the month of Ramadaan, when someone will keep the fasting. Those benefits cannot be acquired from expiation or to be fast “the postponed fast” (kafaarah or Qazaa’). Therefore, it has been admonished that if you understand the virtues, advisability and philosophy of the fasting; then it is better for you to keep the fast and do not try un-necessarily to choose the advantage from the permission of the ransom etc.
Which confirmation of the fasting, its philosophy and necessary commands have been explained in this regard by Allah Almighty during previous verses of this Section, their summary is being presented here again as under:
1. Fasting is prescribed for every adult Muslim male and female as it is one pillar of Islam out of five pillars. Carelessness, laziness and refusal from it are very big sins. The religious scholars have fixed infidelity to the refusal from the incumbency of the fast.
2. The fast was prescribed also for the earlier nations; Islam has not invented any new thing.
3. Purpose of the fast is to grow purity of the soul, abstinence, fear of God Almighty and devotion in the mankind.
4. Number of fasts is fixed, that is to say; during the month of Ramadaan which sometimes become of 29 days and sometimes 30 days.
5. If any individual is sick in the month of Ramadaan and not able to complete the numbers of fasts, he/she is permitted to keep the remaining fasts whenever he becomes healthy.
6. If any person is travelling during these days, he can complete his fasts also during other days except Ramadaan whenever he is not in journey.
7. Quantity of the Ransom is fixed equal to feed a beggar for two times. However if any person fasts being entitled these concessions and takes part in the righteousness with his pleasure, that is also much better for him.
The narration of the fasting and its questions has not yet completed. It will remain in flow in this Section. May Allah Almighty bestow us the correct knowledge and deeds, understanding and admonition.
The month of Ramadan in which was revealed the Qur‘an,
Shahru Ramazaa-nallazii ‘unzila fiihil-Qur-‘aanu-
Ramazaan (the month of Ramadan) this word has come out from the word Ramaza, literal meaning of which is severity of sunlight and heat. It is ninth month of Islamic Calendar. Islamic year runs with lunar system instead of solar system and the lunar months use to exchange during different seasons. So the month of Ramadan also comes in the different seasons and the person, who fasts, enjoys every season.
Allah Almighty has explained in this verse specialty and the cause of fasting during the month of Ramadan i.e. the Revelation of Holy Qur’an during this Holy Month.
Holy Qur’an was revealed in fact by degrees and completed in about between twenty three years. But its revelation had begun during this Holy Month of Ramadan. At first, primary five verses of Surah ‘ALAQ-96 (The Colt) were revealed upon the Last Messenger of God Almighty Muhammad (grace, glory, blessings and peace be upon Him) in the Cave of Hiraa in this month. It has come in the Sayings of the Prophet (grace, glory, blessings and peace be upon Him) also that the entire Holy Qur’an was revealed from “the Tablet of the Safe” (Loh-E-Mahfooz) upon the Sky of this world during “the Night of Power” (Lay-la tul Qadr) of the month of Ramadan, and then it used to reveal by degrees on the Messenger of Allah Almighty (grace, glory, blessings and peace be upon Him). This Night of Power (Lay-la tul Qadr) is a sacred and blessed night during the month of Ramadan. In the
Word of Allah Almighty, it has been commanded about this night that it is better than one thousand months.
It has also come in the Sayings that as much as the Holy Qur’an were revealed in the year, that were caused to hear the Angel Gabriel (peace be upon Him) by the Messenger of God Almighty (grace, glory, blessings and peace be upon Him) during the month of Ramadan. In the last year of the outward life of the Prophet (grace, glory, blessings and peace be upon Him), the Angel of God Almighty caused to hear Complete Qur-‘aan and the Messenger of God Almighty (grace, glory, blessings and peace be upon Him) listened.
Because the Word of Allah Almighty was revealed in the month of Ramadan, so, God Almighty prescribed its fasting to establish its token in this month. This Speech is A Guide Book for the life of human beings and fasting in the month of Ramadan is a source to make the life pure. Those people are blessed who find this month and keep fasting completely, and make their lives nice, they join the group of sobers, God fearing and temperate.