Importance of Ka’-bah and aggression against wrongdoers
Surah ‘Al-Baqarah (The Cow) – Chapter – 2)
Stage – 1, Verses – 191c to 193 of 286, Section – 24 of 40 (Part - 2)
In the name of God, the Beneficent, the Merciful
191c. And fight not with them at the Inviolable Place of Worship until they first attack you there, but if they attack you (there) then slay them. Such is the reward of disbelievers.
192. But if they desist, then lo! Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.
191c. Wal- laa tuqaatiluuhum ‘indal-Masjidil Haraami hatta yu-qaatiluukum fiih. Fa-‘in- qaata-luukum faqtuluuhum. Kazaa-lika jazaaa-‘ul-Kaafiriin.
192. Fa-‘ininta-haw fa-‘innAllaaha Gafuurur-Rahiim.
‘indal-Masjidil Haraami –(at the Inviolable Place of Worship), technically, area of several kilometers on all sides of the Temple of Makkah (the Squire Building) is called ‘Haram’. It is included also in its Determination (‘Ihraam) that neither the battle should be fought here, and nor shed the blood of any individual, even that ‘going a hunting’ is prohibited also.
In the beginning of this verse, it has been described that ‘preventing from the religion, spreading the persecution/quarrel, vexing, unrest, plundering, destruction and forcibly pushing back from the religion are included in mischief. It should be pressed in every form, whether there is a dire need to slay someone. If the war is not waged in the beginning to press the sedition, then spreading day to day it will take in fold the entire nation and country and then quarrels, disturbance, loot, unrest and bloodshed will begin.
In this verse, it has been stated that if the enemies of Islam do not refrain from their mischief and begin waging a war into the limits of Haram (the Squire Building of Makkah), then you can fight also with them at that sacred place. During the normal circumstances, the battle and bloodshed is not allowed at the Inviolable Place of Worship (BaytUllaah) because this House is the Place of peace and respectable, but for suppressing the mischief; it has become so much necessary that it may come in the fold of war. It is the Punishment for the enemies of Peace that they should either be exiled from their native land or slain. However, if they refrain from mischief and persecution, forswear from evil-doings and misdeeds and come under the shelter of Islam, then you should not raise the sword over them. Moreover, consider them as your brothers because God Almighty forgives previous sins of the repentant.
Three things have been proved from this verse:
• The Inviolable Place of Worship (the Squire Building) is the place of peace. Killing and shedding blood should not be committed there.
• If anybody attacks then the battle may be fought there.
• Killing and striving is a collective obligation, so it has been commanded again and again in the plural form on each place.
193. And fight them until persecution is no more, and religion is for Allah. But if they desist, then let there be no hostility except against wrongdoers.
193. Wa qaatiluuhum hatta laa takuunu fitnatunw – wa ya-kuunad-Diinu-LIllaah. Fa-‘ininta-haw falaa ‘udwaana ‘illaa ‘alaz-zaalimiin.
Qaatiluuhum – (fight them) it may be an indication towards the entire Infidels, but the religious scholars have aimed from it only the Idolaters of Makkah, because here it appears the face of words toward them.
‘Ad-Diinu – (the Religion), this word is used for reward and punishment in Arabic, which means revenge, exchange. It has come for several meanings in the Holy Qur’an, that is to say, revenge, exchange, the way of conception and action, the religion, the worship of God Almighty and obedience etc.
It has been commanded in this verse that waging a war should be continued against the infidel persecutors and the enemies of Islam till the time; the persecution and the mischief go to end, the Rule of God Almighty overcomes, none should have the power to oppose or attack without just cause on the Rule of Allah Almighty and if any individual insults it then he should be punished properly and immediately.
Islam desires that the Rule of God Almighty should be public and common. The entire people including believers of other religions may pass their lives satisfactorily at their own places. Places of worship and prayers, and religious stations may remain safe from their tyranny. No hindrance may be produced in the path of Islam. This is the only one form with which Peace may be maintained in the world. Otherwise, persecution/mischief will continue raising its head always and the people may never remain in comfort. Islam has three options for it:
1. Invite the people to embrace Islam. If they agree to believe that God Almighty is One, Muhammad (grace, glory, blessings and peace be upon Him) is the last Messenger of God Almighty and the Day of Resurrection, then Allah Almighty will forgive their evildoing and they will get all equal rights of the Muslims in the Islamic society.
2. If the people are not ready to embrace Islam, however, they promise to refrain from its opposition, then they may live fondly in the Islamic state. In this form, it will be the responsibility of the Muslims to provide them protection and security.
3. If they don’t agree to the above mentioned two options and continue opposing the Rule of God Almighty, that is to say; they become mad in selfishness, then their decision should be finalized with the sword. Their punishment is not less than killing. Persecutors and enemies of the Peace can never be forgiven.