We should not tell concerning God that which we don’t know
Surah ‘Al-Baqarah (The Cow) – Chapter – 2)
Stage – 1, Verses – 77 to 80 of 286, Section – 9 of 40 (Part ½ of - 1)
In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful
77. Are they then unaware that Allah knoweth that which they keep hidden and that which they claim?
78. Among them are unlettered folk who know the Scripture not except from hearsay. They but guess.
79. Therefore woe be unto those who write the Scripture with their hands, then say, “This is from Allah,” that they may purchase a small gain therewith. Woe unto them for that their hands have written, and woe unto them for that they earn thereby!
77. ‘Awalaa ya’-lamuuna ‘an-nAllaaha ya’-lamu maa yusir-ruuna wa maa yu’-linuun.
78. Wa minhum ‘Ummiyyuu-na laa ya’-lamuunal-Kitaaba ‘illaaa ‘amaaniyya wa ‘in hum ‘illaa yazunnuun.
79. Fa-waylul-lilaziina yaktu-buunal-Kitaaba bi-‘aydiihim summa yaquuluuna haazaa min ‘indIllaahi li-yashtaruu bihii samanan-qaliilaa. Fa-waylul-lahum-mimmaa kata-bat ‘aydiihim wa waylul-lahum-mimmaa yaksibuun.
‘Amaaniyya – (false hopes, hearsay) its singular is ‘umniah. This word is used in two meanings:
(1) as like hope which does not have any reality and some persons remain cheerful only in false notions.
(2) Anybody remains involved in false traditions and absurdities. There are a lot of instances of resemblances like this, in the history of the Jews, for example; their false notion that nobody will go into the Paradise except them.
Samanan – (price, cost, value) meanings of this word are not only the net cash or cash price but anything, which will be gotten as reward or remuneration for any other thing, that will be its samanan. In this verse samanan means worldly reward or remuneration.
Mimmaa yaksibuun – (from their earnings), in this verse, it has two meanings:
· Pile of their sins – because of increasing their sins due to these mischiefs constantly.
· Which financial reward or remuneration these persons receive due to change or alteration/transposition in the Scripture.
Illiterate class of the Jews did not know that what has been written in the Holy Scripture Torah. They were aware of a few false expectations, hope and desires only, which they had listened from their forefathers and expected that their ancestors will get them forgiven from their sins.
God Almighty commands that the people who change His Commands and say that it is the order of God Almighty, for them, there is much badness.
And they say: The Fire (of punishment) will not touch us save for a certain number of days. Say: Have ye received a covenant from Allah -- truly Allah will not break His covenant---or tell ye concerning Allah that which ye know not?
Wa qaaluu lan tamassanan-Naaru ‘illaaa ‘ayyaamam-ma’-duudah. Qul ‘attakhaztum ‘indAllaahi ‘ahdan- falany-yukhlifAllaahu ‘ahdahuuu ‘am taquuluuna ‘Alallaahi maa laa ta’-lamoon.
An-Naaru – (The Fire) this word indicates toward the Fire of Hell. It has been mentioned in the Holy Qur’aan at many places and the human beings have been cautioned in the entire Heavenly Scriptures of the world. Nobody will be able to recommend any other to be saved from the agony of the Hell. Neither the remuneration will be useful and nor there will be any individual so much powerful that he may save anyone.
‘Ayyaamam-ma’-duudah – (a certain number of days) the Jews had faith that they will be sent into the Fire only for a few days. After that, they will be brought out from it. Different numbers of days have been mentioned in their sayings. Some of them say it seven days, some other say for forty days. It signifies towards the days; they fell in the worship of the calf and some people say that every evil doer will be kept into the Fire equal to his age.
The Children of Israel supposed themselves beloved and fondling of God Almighty. They used to discuss that His favors and kindness are as a warrant which He bestowed to them from time to time. For this purpose, they had invented many false sayings about it. Its proof was not available in their Holy Books. One from their invented false sayings and false traditions was, “they had faith that if God Almighty gave them any punishment due to their sins that will be only for a few days. They will not remain into the Hell for ever”.
God Almighty asks from the Children of Israel by means of His last Messenger (peace and blessings be upon Him), “Have you received a covenant from Allah” due to which He is compelled to complete it? Indeed, either you have invented these false things yourselves or you tell concerning Him that which you do not know. There is no reply of it instead of it that their all claims like this, are only self invented. They have no such warrant of religion regarding these false sayings.