Knowest thou not that God is Able to do all things?
Surah ‘Al-Baqarah (The Cow) – Chapter – 2)
Stage – 1, Verses –105 to 107 of 286, Section –13 of 40 (Part - 1)
In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful
Neither those who disbelieve among the people of the Scripture nor the idolaters love that there should be sent down unto you any good thing from your Lord. And Allah chooseth for His mercy whom He will. And Allah is of Infinite Bounty.
Maa yawaddullaziina kafaruu min- ‘Ahlil-kitaabi wa lal-Mushrikiina ‘any-yunazzala ‘alaykum-min khayrim-mir-Rabbikum. Wallaahu yakh-tassu bi-rahmatihii many-ya-shaaa’. Wallaahu Zul-Fazlil-‘aziim.
‘Allaziina kafaruu – (those who disbelieve, the Infidels), this word has been derived from kafara. Literal meaning of kafara is ‘to hide’. In the phraseology of Islam, disbeliever of Allah Almighty and His Last Messenger Muhammad (glory, grace, peace and blessings be upon Him) is called Infidel.
‘Ahlil-kitaabi - (The people of the Scripture), this phrase has been used many times in the Holy Qur’an. ‘Ahlil-kitaab are those people, who have any revealed and heavenly Scripture. It is another class besides the Believers and the Infidels. The most famous out of them are the Children of Israel and the Christians, who have the Revealed Books (Torah and Gospel). Alas! These both classes went astray gradually from the teachings of these Scriptures.
‘Al-Mushrikiina – (the idolaters), this word has come out from the word shirk, which means partnership. The idolater is the individual, who settles partners either in the Oneness of God Almighty or in His Virtues or in His Power and Commands. And he makes His partner worshipped in spite of One God.
Allah Almighty has commanded in this verse that all Infidels, Idolaters and the people of the Scripture are filled with envy on the matter that why God Almighty bestows blessings and favors upon Muslims leaving them.
Then, He said that He chooses for His favors, whom He wishes. So, nobody should become jealous over any other. From which nations Prophet-hood had been snatched, that was not due to the avarice of God Almighty (I seek refuge in ALLAH) but this favor was forfeited from the Children of Israel due to their own acts.
106. Such of Our Revelation as We abrogate or cause be forgotten, but We bring (in place) one better or the like thereof. Knowest thou not that Allah is Able to do all things?
107. Knowest thou not that it is Allah unto Whom belongeth the Sovereignty of the heavens and the earth. And ye have not, beside Allah, any guardian or helper?
106. Maa nansakh min ‘aa-yatin ‘aw nunsihaa na’-ti bi-khayrim-minhaaa ‘aw mislihaa. ‘Alam ta’-lam ‘annallaaha ‘alaa kulli shay-‘in- Qadiir.
107. ‘Alam ta’-lam ‘annallaaha lahuu mulkus-samaawaati wal-‘arz. Wa maa lakum- min- duu-nillaahi minw-waliyyinw-wa laa nasiir.
Maa nansakh min ‘aa-yatin – (Such of Our Revelation as We abrogate), there are two words considerable in this sentence:
• ‘Aa-yat,(literal meanings are sign and token) and many things are aimed from it like miracles, which have sign of the Power of God Almighty and prophet-hood of the Prophet, Command and order of Lord Almighty, and the verses of the Holy Qur’an (round signs) etc.
• Nansakh, (We abrogate), to order in place of any previous order, which may be better than that, or the like thereof, to finish the first order and bring (in place) one better or alike. As far as, there is concern to change the miracle, in that case, it is a common thing that God Almighty may abrogate one miracle and may bring one better or alike, to which He considers better according to the change of time. As far as, there is concern about the other meanings, in it, two additional matters come out: One is the verses of previous Heavenly Scripture and the second is the verses of Holy Qur’an itself. Abrogation of the previous Heavenly Books, after revelation of the Holy Qur’an is, then quite an openly matter.
The signs of the verses of Holy Qur’an (rounds) have been applied later on. In the beginning these signs did not exist. So, the question regarding abrogation of these signs, does not grow. Moreover, it seems the right saying, “Aim regarding abrogation of the verses is that the new Commands and Orders of God Almighty have been revealed in the Holy Qur’an in place of His previous Orders and Commands mentioned in His Old Heavenly Scriptures i.e. Torah and Gospel), and these Commands abrogate the old Commands.