God (Himself) is an Enemy to the disbelievers
Surah ‘Al-Baqarah (The Cow) – Chapter – 2)
Stage – 1, Verses – 97 to 100 of 286, Section –12 of 40 (Part - 1)
In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful
97. Say (O Muhammad, to mankind): Who is an enemy to Gabriel! For he it is who hath revealed (this Scripture) to thy heart by Allah’s leave, confirming that which was (revealed) before it, and a guidance and glad-tidings to believers.
98. Who is an enemy to Allah, and His angels and His messengers, and Gabriel and Michael! Then, lo! Allah (Himself) is an enemy to the disbelievers.
97. Qul man- kaana ‘aduwwal-li-Jibriila fa-‘innahum nazza-lahuu ‘alaa qalbika bi-‘izNIllaahi musaddiqal-limaa bayna ya-dayhi wa hudanw-wa bushraa lil-Mu’-miniin.
98. Man-kaana ‘aduwwal-LIllaahi wa malaaa-‘ikatiHii wa rusuliHii wa Jibriila wa Mii-Kaala fa-‘innAllaaha ‘aduwwul-lil-Kaafiriin.
Jibriila – (Gabriel) it is the name of a great Angel (peace be upon Him). He has a very sensitive responsibility as He conveys Revelations of God Almighty to the Prophets and Messengers (peace be upon Them). He is counted as from the closely to God Almighty and arch Angel.
In this verse, God Almighty has opened some more secrets of the Jews’ false and meaningless arguments. They used to say that, which torment used to descend over their forefathers from time to time, the news of that punishment were revealed by Gabriel (peace be upon Him). He was their national enemy. For whom out of Prophets and Messengers (peace be upon Them) will He bring the revelation, they will not accept Him (peace be upon Him). This Angel brings the Revelation towards the Prophet of Islam, the last Messenger Muhammad (glory, grace, peace and blessings be upon Him) also, besides this, He discloses their secrets, conspiracies and plans over the Last Prophet Muhammad (glory, grace, peace and blessings be upon Him), so they should not agree to accept Him (peace be upon Him).
Allah Almighty has replied in this verse that position of the Gabriel (peace be upon Him) is only as an Angel who conveys the Messages of God Almighty to the Prophets and Messengers (peace be upon Them). In fact, every type of command, order, agony, punishment or Speech is revealed from Allah Almighty. The enmity of the Gabriel, some other Angels and Messengers (peace be upon Them) is entirely meaningless and the Infidels will be punished severely due to their enmity with God Almighty
Allah Almighty has described three virtues of Holy Qur’an in this verse:
• It verifies the principles of previous Heavenly Scriptures.
• This Holy Book guides towards the Straight Path.
• It causes to hear happy news for the Believers about good rewards and success.
99. And verily We have revealed unto thee clear verses, and only miscreants will disbelieve in them.
100. Is it ever so that when they make a covenant a party of them set it aside? The truth is, most of them believe not.
99. Wa laqad ‘anzalnaaa ‘ilay-ka ‘Aayaatim- bayyinaat. Wa maa yakfuru bihaaa ‘illal-faasi-quun.
100. ‘Awa- kullamaa ‘aahaduu ‘ahdan-nabazahuu fariiqum-minhum. Bal ‘aksaruhum laa yu’-minuun.
‘Aayaatim- bayyinaat – (clear verses), ‘Aayaat means verses, literally it means ‘tokens’, ‘signs’. The word ‘Aayaat is used for many purposes i.e. punctuation in the Holy Qur’an, Orders, Instructions, and Commands of God Almighty are also called ‘Aayaat, and all those speeches and things which are signs of the Omnipotence of God Almighty, will be included in its meanings.
Bayyinaat – singular of this word is Bayyinah, which means clear, bright. The meanings of this entire sentence may be the Holy Qur’an too, as well as the Miracles and Commands of God Almighty.
The Children of Israel were materialists, so God Almighty bestowed upon their Prophets and Messengers (peace be upon Them) Miracles outward and relating to matter. Near to them, proof of the truth of any Prophet (peace be upon Him) was that He (peace be upon Him) would have the Miracles. When the Last Prophet and Messenger Muhammad (glory, grace, peace and blessings be upon Him) was sent, the Children of Israel said surprisingly, “of what sort is this Prophet? He has no sign or token of prophet-hood. Replying them, Allah Almighty commanded, “You demand one sign of Prophet-hood, We have bestowed many signs and tokens to Our Messenger (glory, grace, peace and blessings be upon Him) and those signs & tokens are neither hidden, nor dim. Moreover, these are clear and bright verses, which may be seen by everyone. After looking them, any individual, who has true nature, cannot deny from them. Only those people will disbelieve, who has become habitual of breaking the Laws of God Almighty and violating His Commands.
History of the Children of Israel has been filled with the happenings of treachery, breaking the covenants, disobeying and violence. Whenever, any Messenger of Allah Almighty brought the Clear Verses towards them, they falsified Him. Moreover, after making the covenant to obey God Almighty and His Prophet (glory, grace, peace and blessings be upon Him), they did not remain firm on it. This habit of refusal and disobeying of the Jews stopped them to accept the prophet-hood of the Last Messenger Muhammad (glory, grace, peace and blessings be upon Him).