Worship your Lord, Who created you & those before you
Surah ‘Al-Baqarah (The Cow) – Chapter – 2)
Stage – 1, Verses – 21 & 22 of 286, Section – 3 of 40 (Part - 1)
In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful
21. O mankind! Worship your Lord, Who hath created you and those before you, so that ye may ward off (evil).
22. Who hath appointed the earth a resting-place for you, and the sky a canopy; and causeth water to pour down from the sky, thereby producing fruits as food for you. And do not set up rivals to Allah when ye know (better).
21. Yaaa-‘ayyu-han-naasu’-buduu Rabba-kumullazii, khalaqa-kum wallaziina min qablikum la-‘allakum tattaquun.
22. ‘Allazii ja-‘ala lakumul-‘arza firaa-shanw- was-samaaa-‘a binaaa’aa. Wa ‘anzala minas-samaaa-‘i maaa-‘an- fa-‘akh-raja bihii minas-sama-raati rizqal-lakum. Falaa taj-‘aluu LIl-laahi ‘andaadanw-wa ‘antum ta’-lamuun.
Tattaquun - You may ward off (evil). Your habit of living with care and having fear of God in your hearts may become strong. It is called abstinence.
An-naasu – Mankind, people. It is the first time in Holy Qur’aan (in this verse) that God Almighty has claimed and addressed the people with the words ‘O mankind! As if He has claimed from all the mankind to worship Him.
- U’-buduu – Worship, pray, it means obeying the Orders of God with humility and respectfully which is called worship and obedience. Prayer, Fasting, Zakaat (poor-due), and Pilgrimage are vital parts of worship but worship does not end on only these parts. It belongs to entire life also.
In the beginning of this Surah, good manners of temperate were explained and were told that guidance is for those people who have fear of God in their hearts. After the explanation of Sobers, condition of Infidels was discussed and then remarks on Hypocrites were cleared. Now all the Human Beings are addressed because after the mention of above three types of mankind, fondness to become a Sober really should have been grown in the individual. So root path of having fear of God is now being cleared.
Here calling the entire people, it has been told that real foundation of all the Orders and Fidelity of Islam is to recognize the Lord. First cause to create the mankind is that he should seek his Lord, he should recognize Him from His open Tokens, he should worship only Him and ask Him for success in this world and on the Day of Resurrection, because He created the mankind, He brought up His creature in every time and taught the human being the ways of promotion according to their abilities.
The first sign of the Lord is that He created you and all of them who have expired before you. Only from this acquaintance, the path of fearing from God opens. God has no personal advantage in worshiping Him. But the mankind has a lot of advantages from it. Worship removes distress of fancies of the human being. And he gets opportunity to draw the attention towards realities.
Firaa-shan - Resting-place. God has appointed the earth as our resting-place because He is the Creator of all the creatures.
‘Andaadan – Rivals, partners, co-sharers, confederates. Allah Almighty is Alone God. There is none His plural or partner, so the mankind should not set up rivals to Him.
In this verse, it is stated that the virtue of God to create, works in the earth or mother’s womb and the person cannot see it. So other virtues which are open are explained so that every individual - younger or older may think about it.
Keeping the mankind in existence, He produces causes for its existence and to carry the life of mankind to its last stage gradually, is only in the powers of his Lord ‘God Almighty’. Here it is told that He is Lord of the mankind and He has collected all sources to keep him in existence after his birth. In this connection, following things come in front of us for meditation:
1. The earth, on which we live and move, is the resting place spread by Allah Almighty.
2. The sky, which has been put over the heads of mankind by God; like canopy of tent and which is the best source of light.
3. For arrangement of the food and water for daily use of mankind, produces fruits of different colors by showering down the rains from skies, which the mankind eats and drinks water. So it is proved that the mankind is indigent of his Lord to remain alive.
So he should perceive “the Worshiped” to that Lord. It is also told in this verse that the Lord Who has all these virtues, His name is Allah Almighty. The mankind should not make any partner or co-sharer of Allah. In this verse, God, after admonishing and telling the mankind His blessings and pities, ordered to Worship Him and made him also to understand the acquaintance of Him, so that he may worship Him after knowing Him. Without acquaintance the worshipper cannot get the fear of God in his heart.