Guard yourself against the Fire prepared for disbelievers
Surah ‘Al-Baqarah (The Cow) – Chapter – 2)
Stage – 1, Verses –24 & 25a of 286, Section – 3 of 40 (Part - 1)
In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful
24. And if ye do it not and ye can never do it, then guard yourself against the Fire prepared for disbelievers whose fuel is of men and stones.
25a. And give glad tidings (O Muhammad) unto those who believe and do good works that theirs are Gardens underneath which rivers flow.
24. Fa-‘illam- taf-‘aluu wa lan-taf-‘aluu fattaqun-Naarallatii wa-quudu-han-naasu wal-hijaa-ratu ‘u-‘iddat lil-Kaafiriin.
25a. Wa bashshi-rillaziina ‘aa-manuu wa ‘amilus-Saali-haati ‘anna lahum jannaatin- tajrii min-tahtihal-‘anhaar.
Wa-quudu-han-naasu wal-hijaa-ratu – Its fuel is of men and stones. It is earmarked toward the Fire of the Hell which will be much vigorous. It will also burn the stones in addition to the human beings. As though, the Idols of stones will become fuel of it too, may it be that; the hint of Al-Hijaa-ratun is toward stony or hard-hearted human beings.
In the previous lesson the adversary people were invited for competition with Holy Qur’aan. Now they are being told, “if you are unable to compete and We say that you shall not be able, then now, it is clear that it is the Word of God”. And it is evident that the Messenger, Muhammad (Peace be upon Him) is the True Prophet. Now if you do not have faith in Prophet-hood of ‘Muhammad’ (Peace be upon Him) and do not act upon the commands of Holy Qur’aan, it shall be the Base of Hell’s Agony. So you should arrange to escape from it because the Fire of Hell is not the normal fire. But that is the Fire; of which men and stones will become its fuel. And this Fire is prepared for them who contradict the commands of Islam, Prophet-hood of Muhammad (peace be upon Him), Truth of the Divine percepts of Islam and purity of Holy Qur’aan.
Some more matters have also been cleared from this verse:
1. The matter in which enemies of Islam particularly “the Quresh” had claim, “Purity of the words and admonishing the meanings easily”, making humble in the same, it was proved that this Word is of Allah Almighty.
2. False gods which people have adopted instead of One God (Allah Almighty) and ask them for their desires, those all were refuted.
3. Punishment of infidelity was fixed - the Hell.
We should not have any doubt in the Truth of the Holy Qur’aan, purity of Islam, truth and honesty of the Messenger ‘Muhammad’ (Peace be upon Him) because if the entire mankind try collectively to write any one small surah like Surahs of the Holy Qur’aan, they cannot bring (in which all those excellence must exist which are held in this Word). Some of those excellence are: pure words, eloquence and rhetoric, preaching of good manners, explaining the meanings excellently, material for relief and guidance of all people, instructions for the mankind in entire matters of difficulties and problems, equally useful for all the nations of the world etc.
‘Aa-manuu – They believe. Those people who have not any doubt in the Divinity of God, Prophet-hood of the Messenger ‘Muhammad’ (Peace be upon Him) and truth of Holy Qur’aan.
Wa ‘amilus-Saali-haati – (do good works). The works which are according to the guidance of Holy Qur’aan and Sayings of the Messenger (peace be upon Him), pure from badness and crookedness.
In this verse good tidings have been given to those who believe and do good works that they will go in the Gardens (Paradise) where all facilities of comfort and pleasure will exist. The rivers of cool and flavored water will be flowing into them.
Now it has been cleared that becoming rightful resident of the Heaven and for entering into it two excellence are necessary for the human being:
· There must be no doubt in one’s heart regarding God and His Prophet (Peace be upon Him). (He should perceive that his worshiped, Lord and Master is Allah Almighty, promise that the Messenger of God (Peace be upon Him) is true, believe that the Holy Qur’aan is the Word of God and have faith in the Day of Resurrection).
· His all deeds must be according to the commands of Holy Qur’aan and Sayings of the Holy Prophet (Peace be upon Him). He should not give up any such work which has been ordered and instructed as mentioned above. He should not commit any forbidden work.
We have reached the point with the Summary of this verse that Paradise cannot be gotten only with the good works. Belief and faith are also necessary with good works and just like this, good works are necessary also with the belief.