Quran Chapter 4 -114 (Pt-5, Stg-1) (L-598) - درس قرآن
Suratun-Nisaaa’ (The Women) – Chapter – 4)
In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful
لَّا خَيْرَ فِى كَثِيرٍ مِّن نَّجْوَىٰهُمْ إِلَّا مَنْ أَمَرَبِصَدَقَةٍ أَوْ مَعْرُوفٍ أَوْ إِصْلَٰحٍۭ بَيْنَ ٱلنَّاسِ وَمَن يَفْعَلْ ذَٰلِكَ ٱبْتِغَآءَ مَرْضَاتِ ٱللَّهِ فَسَوْفَ نُؤْتِيهِ أَجْرًا عَظِيمًا (114)
114. There is no good in much of their secret counsels save (in) him who enjoineth almsgiving and kindness and peace-making among the people. And whoso doeth that, seeking the good Pleasure of Allah, We shall bestow on him a vast reward.
114. Laa khayra fii kasiirim-min-naj-waahum ‘illaa man ‘amara bi-sadaqatin ‘aw ma’-ruufin ‘aw ‘is-laahim-bay-nan-naas. Wa many-yaf-‘al zaali-kab-tigaaa-‘a marzaa-Tillaahi fa-sawfa Nu’-tiihi ‘ajran ‘aziimaa.
Naj-waa – (secretly consultation), it aims secret counsels and whispering. It has been disliked and prevented in the Holy Qur’an that some persons begin whispering with one another, while they are attending any multitude or congregation.
‘Is-laahun – (peace-making), to make peace among the two persons, who are quarreling with each other, it is from sulah, which means friendship, combination, agreement. It aims ‘to remove mutual wrangling’.
It was habit of some people that they used to say the Messenger of Allah Almighty (grace, glory, blessings and peace be upon Him) something in a low, hissing sound in the meeting (multitude). Their intention was that the people should consider them frank and close friends of the Messenger (grace, glory, blessings and peace be upon Him) and respect them. In this verse, they have been exposed to view and the people have been educated about human nature in the best manner. If they act upon this advice then mutual suspicion, bad thoughts and doubts can never be born. The Commands of Holy Qur’an are Rules and Regulations of the highest grades for mutual friendship and good treatment. Those people will remain surely in superior positions in the world, who will abide by these instructions.
It has been described in this verse that the people who associate secretly and whisper in the meetings should not consider that they are saying something good. There is no goodness in this type of conversation. This method of chit chat has a defect in itself that due to conspiring between some persons only, while nobody else is permitted to participate in this speech of a low tone and other people are sitting around, will produce suspicion in their hearts. Particularly in the multitude, if one comes and talks in a low, hissing sound with someone sitting in the meeting, that other members of the multitude may take it that he is hiding something from them, then surely their thought will go worse from his side. And usually it will be considered that certainly he is talking against them. Therefore, such secret counsels are hurtful. There are only three forms when such type of whispering is suitable:
1. If you want to give something to any needy, then it is better to be quiet instead of saying someone else, so that the needy might not be blushing and disgraced.
2. If you wish to guide towards the goodness or tell any person about any particular matter, it is also better to speak with him in a low tone, so that he would not be ashamed before the people.
3. Making peace among the two quarrelsome persons.
If this method is adopted to please Allah Almighty and to get His Willingness, then He Commands, “We shall bestow on him a vast reward”.