When fighting was prescribed for them, they turned away
Surah ‘Al-Baqarah (The Cow) – Chapter – 2)
Stage – 1, Verses – 244 to 246 of 286, Section – 32 of 40 (Part - 2)
In the name of God, the Beneficent, the Merciful
244. Fight in the Way of Allah, and know that Allah is Hearer, Knower.
245. Who is it that will lend unto Allah a goodly loan, so that He may give it increase manifold for him? And Allah straiteneth and enlargeth. And unto Him ye will return.
244. Wa qaa-tiluu fii sabiiLIllaahi wa’-lamuuu ‘annAllaaha Samii-‘un ‘Aliim.
245. Man-zallazii yuqrizUllaaha Qarzan Hasanan fa—yuzaa-‘ifa-Huu lahuuu ‘az-‘aafan- kasiirah. WAllaahu yaqbizu wa yab-sut. Wa ‘ilayHi turja-‘uun.
‘Aliim – (Knower), it denotes that Allah Almighty knows the intentions of heart and announcements by tongue of those persons who try and strive in His Path and who don’t.
Qarzan Hasanah – (goodly loan) the loan, after which neither the debtor would be troubled, nor kindness would be shown, nor revenge would be taken and nor the debtor would be despised. In broad terms, it signifies also, each that sum which is spent in any respect of the religion. Here it aims the amount spent in fighting (Jihad). The Arabs used to say every act of good remuneration as goodly loan and every act of bad remuneration as bad loan. Though, due to spending the wealth in Fighting (Jihad) in the Way of Allah will be returned manifold more in the Hereafter, so this act of spending is determined by Holy Qur’an as goodly loan (Qarzan Hasanah).
fa—yuzaa-‘ifa-Huu – (so that He may give it increase), it means ‘to increase the future reward and remuneration of this deed’. Infinitive mood of this word is ‘Az-’aaf (to increase manifold).
Allah Almighty explained by mentioning about a nation in the previous verse that control of life and death is in His hand only. So, you shouldn’t turn away due to fear of enemy. Now, it is being commanded clearly for fighting in the Way of Allah (Jihad) that “Fight in the Path of Right Religion against its enemies”.
Arms and equipment, tools and other things are required for war (Jihad). So, God Almighty ordered those the people, who have power to afford it that they should spend their wealth wholeheartedly. Allah Almighty will return their sacrifice by increasing it many times (manifold) in this world as well as on the Day of Resurrection. They should never think that due to spending the money in the Way of God Almighty they will become poor.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
246. Bethink thee of the leaders of the Children of Israel after Moses, how they said unto a Prophet whom they had: Set up for us a king and we will fight in Allah’s Way. He said: Would ye then refrain from fighting if fighting were prescribed for you? They said: Why should we not fight in Allah’s Way when we have been driven from our dwellings with our children? Yet, when fighting was prescribed for them, they turned away, all save a few of them. And Allah is Aware of evildoers.
246. ‘Alam tara ‘ilal-mala-‘i mim- Baniii-‘Israaa-‘iila mim- ba’-di Muusaa. ‘Iz qaaluu li-nabiyyil-lahumub-‘as lanaa Malikan-nuqaatil fii Sabiilil-laah. Qaala hal ‘asaytum ‘in- kutiba ‘alaykumul-qitaalu ‘al-laa tuqaatiluu. Qaaluu wa maa lanaaa ‘allaa nuqaatila fii Sabii-LIllaahi wa qad ‘ukhrijnaa min-diyaarinaa wa ‘abnaaa-‘inaa. Falammaa kutiba ‘alay-himul-qitaalu tawallaw ‘illaa qaliilam-minhum. WAllaahu ‘Aliimum-biz-zaalimiin.
It has been pointed also in this verse towards an important story of the history of the children of Israel. After some times of departing Prophet Moses (peace be upon Him), the Children of Israel gathered in the temple of Jerusalem being confused from the attacks of King Goliath and other enemies, and being helpless from each side. Perhaps this reign was of the Prophet Samuel (peace be upon him). They requested the Prophet of God Almighty (peace be upon him) to appoint for them a commander-in-chief, under whose supervision; they may fight. He (Prophet Samuel (peace be upon him) said, “I’m afraid that if it is commanded to Fight (do jihad), then would you not refrain from fighting”? They assured that they would have to fight in the Way of Allah, while they had been driven from their dwellings with their children. But when the time for fighting came, they all turned away save a few of them.