A kind word with forgiveness is better than almsgiving followed by injury
Surah ‘Al-Baqarah (The Cow) – Chapter – 2)
Stage – 1, Verses – 261 to 264a of 286, Section – 36 of 40 (Part - 3)
In the name of God, the Beneficent, the Merciful
261. The likeness of those who spend their wealth in Allah’s Way is as the likeness of a grain which groweth seven ears, in every ear a hundred grains. And Allah giveth increase manifold to whom He will. And Allah is All-Embracing, All-Knowing.
262. Those who spend their wealth for the Cause of Allah and afterward make not reproach and injury to follow that which they have spent; their reward is with their Lord, and there shall no fear come upon them, neither shall they grieve.
261. Masalul-laziina yunfiquu-na ‘amwaalahum fii SabiiLIllaahi kamasali habbatin ‘ambatat sab- ‘a sanaabila fii kulli sumbu- latim-mi- ‘atu habbah. WAllaahu yuzaa- ‘ifu limany-ya-shaaa’. WAllaahu Waasi- ‘un ‘Aliim.
262. ‘Al-laziina yunfiquuna ‘amwaalahum fii SabiiLIllaahi summa laa yutbi- ‘uuna maaa ‘anfaquu man-nanw-wa laa ‘azal-lahum ‘ajruhum ‘inda Rabbihim. Wa laa khaw-fun ‘alayhim wa laa hum yahza-nuun.
Allah Almighty described about His Knowledge and Power in the verse of ‘Aayat-ul-Kursii. Then we recited three stories. Allah Almighty commanded that Guidance and Error, Life and Death are in His Power of Choice.
God Almighty mentioned in this verse about Striving (Jihad), virtue of spending the wealth in His Way and necessary terms and conditions about it. After telling a likeness, Allah Almighty Commanded that the people who spend their wealth in His Path, He will give rewards duly increased manifold to whom He wills. As we see His blessings in this world in connection with products of the earth, like this, He will bestow upon us rewards against our good actions due to His Kindness and Blessing. If we sow one seed of grain in the earth, we gain seven hundred seeds of grain, like this, if God, the Most High Wills, it can be seven thousand or more. He Knows the intention of that individual who spends. He is much Aware of the quantity which has been spent and which wealth will be spent in His Way honestly, He will increase its reward manifold. After that, He commanded also that, the people who spend their wealth for needy people in the Way of Allah Almighty and neither inform (warn) them about their favor, nor torment by reproaching them, nor get any kind of service from them and nor despise them, they will be given their full reward. They neither will be sorrowful for the past nor will be afraid of their future.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
263. A kind word with forgiveness is better than almsgiving followed by injury. And Allah is Absolute, Clement.
264a. O ye who believe! Render not vain your almsgiving by reproach and injury,
263. Qawlum-ma’-ruufunw-wa magfiratun khayrum-min-sada-qatiny-yatba- ‘uhaaa ‘azaa. WAllaahu Ganiy—yun- Haliim.
264a. Yaaa- ‘ayyu-hallaziina ‘aa-manuu laa tub-tiluu sadaqaati-kum- bil-manni wal- ‘azaa,
Qawlum-ma’-ruufun – (a kind word), Qawl means conversation and answer, and ma’-ruuf means according to customs. It aims ‘soft and sweet talk’.
Meaning of this sentence is, “if something cannot be given to someone as alms and charity, then it is better to behave and talk softly than vexing him.
Magfiratun – (with forgiveness), its aim is that if any needy person (beggar etc.) begs again and again, asks for alms harshly or with un-civilized manner and way of his begging seems heavy on mind, then it is better to ignore instead of troubling him.
‘azaa – (injury, illness, trouble), in the meaning of this word giving each type of trouble, disgrace, inconvenience, discomfort and bothering are included.
Manni – (to show own kindness and favor after alms-giving), reproach, to tell somebody off own kindness, to find fault with someone due to favor done for him.
Islam has determined very great goodness to the good behavior and alms-giving, and doing so, spending the wealth for needy people counts as spending for the Cause of God Almighty. It was commanded in its previous verse that the reward for spending one penny in Allah’s Way increases up to seven hundred manifold or more. Here another aspect of this matter has illuminated.
Allah Almighty commanded that if you cannot give something to the needy/beggar, treat him with soft conversation and excuse. It is not lawful to threaten or rebuke him. Secondly, if you show your kindness or reproach after giving alms to the needy person, the entire will be wasted. You will get no reward.